Saturday, June 11, 2016

"Idea Napkin No. 1"

So, please describe the following:
1) You. Who you are. What your talents are. What your skills and experiences are. Also: what are your aspirations? Specifically regarding your business concept, how do you see this business (if you were to start it) playing a role in your life?
Hello I am Angelo Cottman and I am a sports management major. For the majority of my life I have always occupied myself with sports both as an athlete and a fan. To find joy in anything including sports you must have, to quote the late great Bruce Lee "emotional content". As such I found myself emotionally invested in sports and the athletes who played them instilling a desire in me to center my future career around the subject. I have a background as a tour guide specifically working at colleges. Therefore, I've had experience getting people particularly my peers to buy into an idea I believe. If I can get individuals to trust my opinion on where the proper venue for their academic future is than I can get athletes to trust my concern for their health. As a boy I grew up witnessing my mother suffer from physical limitations due to paralysis brought on by stroke. Similar medical ailments run in my family so I'm grimly aware of the importance of having medical insurance and how the lack there of can destabilize a family. I don't want to have to watch the family of beloved athletes go through such struggles.  
2) What are you offering to customers? Describe the product or service (in other words, how you'll solve customers' unmet needs). 
I want to create business plan to have my own insurance company that provides individuals with health and life insurance. Specifically, my business will be catering to the niche market of uninsured athletes. 
3) Who are you offering it to? Describe, in as much detail as possible, the demographic and psychographic characteristics of your customers. Think especially of this question: what do your customers all have in common?
Luckily many professional athletes are insured, but there are numerous subgroups that due to not receiving coverage from their employers fall through the cracks. Professional wrestlers who work in the business of sports entertainment fall into this category because they are hired as independent contractors they typically receive no medical insurance. Wrestlers are always at constant risk for life threatening injury whether they're performing live shows or just in the training stages. The sports entertainment business comes with few safety guidelines and is always pushing the boundaries and health complications tend to kill most wrestlers before the age of 70.  
4) Why do they care? Your solution is only valuable insofar as customers believe its valuable to them. Here, explain why customers will actually pay you money to use your product or service. 
As I previously mentioned, wrestlers have one the most physically taxing jobs in the world of sports and promotional companies seem unconcerned with the safety of their employees. An athlete's livelihood is their body so to keep it well maintained is a necessity. Also, most wrestler know the low life expectancy of people who participate in the industry and desire to change that. It is not just the risk of paralysis and stress on the cardiovascular system, but of chronic brain injury that these workers face everyday. A person who provides fans with such enjoy should have a quality of life health wise that reflects their dedication to the craft. 
5) What are your core competencies? What sets you apart from everyone else? Also: what do you have that nobody else has? 
The thing that sets me apart from everyone else is that unlike other wrestling fans who see a successful multi-billion dollar industry operated by talent that earns more money than they could dream of, I will forever see a system of exploitation. Wrestlers make money off the sweat of their brow, doing a job most people would be scared to do day in and day out. Few wrestlers make the big money anyway because most are stuck on the independent circuit, but are still stuck with a lifetime's worth or injuries. This is why they identify readily with the working class. I consider it an honor to defend my fellow proletariat.
6) In addition to these five elements, please spend a paragraph evaluating whether you believe these elements fit together or whether there are aspects of your business concept that are weaker / out-of-joint with the others. 
I find that these elements fit together. I  could never accomplish such a grand feat alone I would require a lot of assistance to start this movement. Starting any regular insurance company can be a complex multi-step process not to mention a time consuming one. Getting certification and then securing a customer base sounds simple at first, but could take years and even once you have customers that doesn't necessarily guarantee profit. If I were to ever try this endeavor I would need a very trustworthy team of business associates by my side.

3 comments:

  1. Angelo,

    I would not classify myself as a very sportsy person. But you have open my eyes to a different view of sports, specifically insurance and wrestlers. If you had said sports overall it would have been difficult to sell this business idea. But since you honed in on wrestlers, whom most often do not have insurance, makes this a very doable idea. How would you go about advertising and pitching your idea? Would it be to their contractors or to the individual themselves? Really unique idea, Angelo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angelo,

    It was very interesting to read about this unmet need you have found and how you plan to solve it. I think athletes would really appreciate having an insurance that is catered toward their unique needs. You are clearly very knowledgeable and passionate about sports and wrestling and that will make it easier for you to develop the perfect insurance for these athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angelo,

    As stated before by Sarah I think this is a really interesting unmet need. I don't think I had ever thought about the fact that wrestlers are not insured, I personally don't like wrestling but I know it is huge in the U.S. So I think this is a good opportunity you have going here. On the other hand, if you are going to offer some type of insurance, would you be the middle person between the insurance and the athlete or would you want to develop your own insurance company?

    ReplyDelete